Sunday, January 3, 2010

ChemSketch for Molecular Modeling on PC

Day 3, 3rd post, so far doing ok :-) Just wondering if I have 365 of these to share ;-)


Want to share one of my all time favorite FREE programs I have used for years in my chemistry classes, its up to version 12. ChemSketch!
I ran across this free program, for educators, years ago, I think version 4 and have enjoyed using it ever since then. Its an easy way to copy paste stick figure versions of covalent compounds when in ChemSketch but the best part is the 3D viewer. It is very useful in showing molecular geometries along with angles (some angles are a little off but again FREE). This newest version along with version 11 allows you to create animated gifs of the 3D structures which can easily be incorporated into PowerPoints for discussion of molecular geometries. The newest and awesome aspect I have just recently discovered is their incorporation into Google Docs Presentation file type. Example below: ChemSketch example and 3D animated gif examples (very quick test I made, so forgive me)

No comments:

Post a Comment