Sunday, January 10, 2010

SMART Notebook : Great Capture Software

Got distracted by Cowboys Game :-) This was for a Jan 9th posting


I really enjoy using Smart Notebook in my classroom. First, I need to mention, you need to have a Smart Board or another Smart product to use Notebook. The nice thing is that if anyone at your school has a Smart product anyone at the school can download and use Notebook, both at school and at home.
I know that Notebook can be used for so many other things but I am currently using it to record my complete lectures for my chemistry classes (check out my channels on Vimeo, previous blog post). Notebook allows capture of anything displayed on Smartboard, like PowerPoints, along with anything you write on it. But that only provides visuals of the notes, by attaching a wireless microphone, ~$200, you can also provide the audio portion to have the complete lecture. It can be any microphone but if you want to write on SmartBoard and interact with students its useful to have wireless. This is very handy since it will provide students with a "replay" of the lecture if they forget something or for any students that were absent.
Now, a SmartBoard is not needed. You can use it just as a screen capture of your monitor. I have used it to make instructional videos. An example of creating a motion guide for Flash instructional video is shown below, I was trying to show a colleague how to use Flash (no audio)

No comments:

Post a Comment